First of all, it's worth pointing out the following - despite its name, Logbook of the World (LOTW) is not a logging platform. It was never designed to be a logbook. It wasn't really even designed to be an awards-tracking system. Its designed purpose is to be an electronic confirmation system.
You can now easily track awards on LOTW. However, you may find that confirmations processed prior to the existence of LOTW are not in LOTW.
LOTW is not a method for backing up your log. It is designed to convey confirmations electronically using digital certificates. You cannot download your entire logbook from LOTW (only confirmations). If you need information on backup and recovery of your log, please click HERE.
TQSL Must be installed first.
Required: TQSL must be installed with your certificate and fully functional before it can work with HRD Logbook. HRD Logbook simply sends QSOs to TQSL using a command-line interface and TQSL uploads them to LOTW "in the background." Consult the instructions for TQSL on the ARRL's website for TQSL setup. (If TQSL works, HRD works.)
Note: LOTW support indicates that the majority of problems are resolved by making sure that you have properly updated your TQSL certificate when it expires. The instructions for doing that can be found here: Replacing an Expired LOTW Certificate
- Begin by selecting the QSOs that the operator wants to upload. From within Logbook, this is done by using the Ctrl button and either left-click or shift-click to select records.
- Then click the LOTW Upload button, or access the download function through the Ham Radio Deluxe Logbook menu by selecting Logbook > File > LOTW > Upload.
- NOTE: TrustedQSL is required for LOTW Upload. The following dialog box will appear:
- 1. The LOTW URLs should not be changed or the upload will not work correctly.
- 2. The operator adds the Username and Password for the LOTW account. Your LOTW user name and password are located in the e-mail which contained your TQ6 file. You should test these credentials by logging in directly to https://lotw.arrl.org
- 3. The operator must tell Ham Radio Deluxe Logbook what folder TrustedQSL is installed. The path to tqsl.exe must be selected.
- 4. IF a Private password is used in TrustedQSL, it must be entered into the provided field. Most operators do not use this. This is separate from your LOTW password above. If you can't remember this password, try it without a password. If that doesn't work, you'll need to replace the certificate through the ARRL.
- 5. The Station locations are pulled from TQSL and they can be selected from a dropdown menu.
- 6. Then click the Upload button and the results will be shown after the file is uploaded.
- Tip: In order to know which QSOs to upload, it is quite helpful to add the LOTW sent field to the logbook layout (by clicking the Layout button and adding LOTW sent). Select the QSOs where LOTW sent is No before clicking the LOTW Upload button.
- Click the LOTW Download button, or access the download function through the Ham Radio Deluxe Logbook menu by selecting Logbook, File, LOTW, Download. The following dialog box will be displayed.
- NOTE: Trusted QSL is not used or required for LOTW Download.
- 1. The LOTW URLs should not be changed or the download will not work correctly.
- 2. The operator adds the Username and Password for the LOTW account.
- 3. The ADIF field will populate automatically and it’s rarely necessary to change it.
- 4. Select a date range.
- Hint: By default, the download will begin where the last one left off.
- 5. Then click the Download button and the results will be shown after the file is downloaded.
- If there are any errors in the downloaded file, they will be described in the above dialog box. Most commonly, there is a mismatch between the mode or band for the data previously uploaded to LOTW and the data in Ham Radio Deluxe Logbook. This will tell the operator what needs to be resolved. Then a repeated upload will be successful.
- 6. Click Save To Database
- 7. Click Finish
- Hint: This is the method that updates the QSL and (some) Award status fields in the Awards Tracking module. You will have to hit the Refresh button in the Awards Tracking tab in order to update the totals.
Trouble? If you are having trouble with uploading to LOTW, please find trouble-shooting information by clicking HERE.