- There are many configuration options available for the visual display of DM-780. If you will notice there is a scroll bar located on the right side of the ALE panel. Using the scroll bar and sliding down to the bottom of the ALE reveals more control buttons for the ALE. Many people don’t like to have to use this scroll bar so one option is to reduce the hight of the Waterfall.
- Placing your cursor along the top edge of the waterfall, just below the transmit panel, clicking and holding the left mouse button, will allow you to drag the top of the Waterfall down so you can see the options on the bottom of the ALE. Doing this, though, brings up another problem. When you get it to the point where you can see the bottom of the ALE, the Waterfall is so narrow it makes it hard to select the signals.
Full Screen Mode
- An alternative would be to press your F11 key. This takes the display to the Full Screen mode.
- Now in this mode you can see the lower part of the ALE, and as you will learn later, below the three icons at the bottom a line of text will appear when you have a call in the Callsign box indicating the worked status of that call. Plenty of room for all of that now, but another problem has been introduced.
- You have lost your toolbar and have no way of selecting any other options available.
- SOLUTION: Select an empty spot on the toolbar and click your right mouse button. A menu will pop up looking like the one at the left. Un-check each of those checked options in this menu to remove them from the toolbar. Remember, removing the Clock from the toolbar isn’t going to hurt you, you always have the system clock on the Windows Task bar. The frequency is displayed on the Waterfall toolbar. Everything else will now be available from the Text Menu at the top of the screen.
- Now you can adjust the height of the waterfall to something easier to work with and still see the entire ALE without having to use the scroll bar.
Multiple QSO Windows
- On the Text menu at the top of the display, click on QSO and select New Window. You will see a new tab appear on the display. The tab will be identical to the first one created. Click on this new tab. It doesn’t look like anything changed. Your still in the BPSK-31 mode and the screen looks just like the previous tab.
- Click on the BPSK-31 tab, in the upper left corner of the Receive panel. When the dropdown selection box opens, come down to RTTY and click on RTTY-45. You now have TWO mode tabs open on the main display.
- Let’s try another. Click on QSO on the Menu and select New Window. You now have THREE mode tabs. In this new tab, let’s select Olivia 8/500.
- The tabs in your display should look like the following picture.
- You can have as many mode tabs open as you like and easily switch back and forth just by clicking on the tabs. To close a tab just click on the “X” located to the right of the tab name.
- If you are in a QSO and someone sends you a link to a website, you don’t have to exit DM-780 to view the site. You don’t even have to open your favorite browser. All you have to do is click on the link. In the receive panel, a browser tab will open to the website you clicked.
- Looking closely at the above picture, you can see you now have four tabs on the display. Three Mode tabs and the Browser tab.