The synchronizer is used to control two or more radios where a common frequency is shared by using the Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) mechanism. For each radio you are using you start an instance of Ham Radio Deluxe, one instance is the Master, the rest are the Slaves, the slaves receive frequency and mode information from the master.
Start the Synchroniser from the Tools> Programs menu, then press Scan to find the active Ham Radio Deluxe instances.
Select the master instance (supplied the frequency and mode), and then press Start.
In the Frequency and Mode dropdowns you select the corresponding source from the Ham Radio Deluxe master instance:
- Radio – as seen on the main Ham Radio Deluxe display,
- Transverter – frequency is taken from the Transverter window (selected from the Tools menu).
- Satellite uplink – the uplink frequency and mode (see Ground Control section of the Satellite Tracking page).
- Satellite downlink – the downlink frequency and mode (see Ground Control section of the Satellite Tracking page).
In the Ham Radio Deluxe Slaves group box check the instances to be controlled by the Synchroniser.
As soon as you check a slave the slave‟s frequency and mode are updated with the current values from the master; every time the master frequency and / or mode change they are sent to the slave for so long as the slave option remains checked.
Dual Radio Satellite Tracking
Refer to Satellite Tracking, specifically Ground Control section of the Satellite Tracking page.
If you are using two radios for satellite tracking (for example two FT-817 or IC-7000):
- 1. Start an instance of Ham Radio Deluxe for each radio; connect to the radios.
- 2. Select an instance to use as the master, in this example the radio used for receive.
- 3. In the master (receive) instance:
- Start the display.
- Enter transmit and receive frequency information for the satellite you are tracking.
- Check the RX VFO, do not check a TX VFO as this instance will not be used for transmit.
- 4. Start the Synchroniser:
- Master is the receive instance,
- Slave is the transmit instance,
- Select the Satellite uplink option for Frequency and Mode so that the slave receives the frequency and mode used for transmit as computer by the Master instance.
The slave will now be updated with the transmit frequency and mode for transmit every time it changes in the master instance.