Start a new topic
Answered

Logbook bug?

It looks like there may be a logging bug when you are operating with an operator callsign different from the station callsign. 

I was operating remote as kg5thg/p. I manually added a phone contact and lotw would not accept the record because the cert was for kg5thg/p, but the log record was for kg5thg. (this issue does not occur with wsjt-x/jtalert log records)

Upon inspecting of the record (exported to an adi file), BOTH the operator and station_callsign xml tags were present. The operator tag was set to kg5thg/p as would be expected. The station_callsign was set to kg5thg which is also correct.

The issue is, based on the adif specifications,

if STATION_CALLSIGN is absent, OPERATOR shall be treated as both the logging station's callsign and the logging operator's callsign

The problem is, the station_callsign is present and is overriding the operator which creates an invalid qso record. Is this a tqsl (lotw) issue or a hrd bug?

What do ya'll think?

Best Answer

In the software, the difference between STATION CALLSIGN and OPERATOR CALLSIGN is the following...

To use your example...

The STATION CALLSIGN is KG5THG/P.

The OPERATOR CALLSIGN is KG5THG.

It pretty much has to be that way.

Stations have callsigns. Operators operate a station.

The problem was... you can't login to a DX cluster with a slash in your call. So people were putting slashes in the operator callsign field and couldn't log into a cluster. This is the core of the issue.

You can't modify the station callsign, because it's tied to your software activation key. So it's a simple matter of contacting the sales support team... they'll add your slash call to your key... and then you'll see KG5THG/P as a callsign in My Station. But you don't put the slash in operator callsign.

The online manual contains all the updated information:  https://support.hamradiodeluxe.com/a/solutions/articles/51000052682 

So per the ADIF spec... "if Station Callsign is absent, the Ooperator Callsign" is used... for ADIF.

With that said... we're now forcing both to be populated. That's what's new.

Mike, VK4EIE, WA9PIE

Answer

In the software, the difference between STATION CALLSIGN and OPERATOR CALLSIGN is the following...

To use your example...

The STATION CALLSIGN is KG5THG/P.

The OPERATOR CALLSIGN is KG5THG.

It pretty much has to be that way.

Stations have callsigns. Operators operate a station.

The problem was... you can't login to a DX cluster with a slash in your call. So people were putting slashes in the operator callsign field and couldn't log into a cluster. This is the core of the issue.

You can't modify the station callsign, because it's tied to your software activation key. So it's a simple matter of contacting the sales support team... they'll add your slash call to your key... and then you'll see KG5THG/P as a callsign in My Station. But you don't put the slash in operator callsign.

The online manual contains all the updated information:  https://support.hamradiodeluxe.com/a/solutions/articles/51000052682 

So per the ADIF spec... "if Station Callsign is absent, the Ooperator Callsign" is used... for ADIF.

With that said... we're now forcing both to be populated. That's what's new.

Mike, VK4EIE, WA9PIE

Upon inspecting of the record (exported to an adi file), BOTH the operator and station_callsign xml tags were present. The operator tag was set to kg5thg/p as would be expected. The station_callsign was set to kg5thg which is also correct.

Station should contain the slash.

Operator should not contain the slash.

Mike, VK4EIE, WA9PIE

Kotarya, as Mike said, you have to contact sales to have them add the call sign you are going to operate to your license key if you are going to add records directly with the log book and upload them to ARRL lotw. This also include any special event call signs, etc... TQSL only looks at the station_callsign xml tag when validating an upload to lotw.

Something appears to have changed here recently. My main call sign is M1SMH. I also have a French call sign F4VRL. I run HRD on two separate PCs in the two separate countries for the two different logs. 

Most of my operating is FT8 and I use JTAlert to log automatically to HRD. Both <operator:5> and <station_callsign:5> are set to F4VRL and there are no issues logging to LOTW. 

Last year I logged 5v7ei on cw and HRD set <operator:6>STUART <owner_callsign:6>STUART <station_callsign:5>F4VRL and no issues uploading to LOTW. Yesterday I logged D2EB on cw and HRD set <operator:5>F4VRL <station_callsign:5>M1SMH (no owner_callsign set) and the upload to LOTW fails. 

So to get LOTW uploads working I have to export the non (JTAert created)ft8 QSOs to text file,  edit <station_callsign:5> from M1SMH to F4VRL and upload using TQSL.

Is there anything which can be done in the program itself to resolve this?

Thanks

Stuart / F4VRL / M1SMH

Login or Signup to post a comment